The amount of compensation received is an essential element to personal injury cases in San Francisco. Thus, it’s important that a personal injury lawyer in San Francisco focuses on getting their client awarded what they deserve for their injuries and losses. However, there’s more to the process than just the result. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the types of personal injury cases in the city under California laws ( actslaw.com/personal-injury ), and at other things you should look for in a lawyer you hire.
Types of Personal Injury Cases in San Francisco
As a personal injury lawyer in San Francisco will explain, personal injury falls under the rules of civil law. This means that the one liable for the injuries and monetary damages isn’t held criminally liable.
3 Categories of Personal Injury Cases in San Francisco
A personal injury lawyer in San Francisco will also explain that there are three categories that apply to personal injury negligence in San Francisco, and these are strict liability, negligence tort, and intentional tort:
• Strict Liability: Proof of negligence isn’t needed
• Negligence Tort: A person’s recklessness, negligence, or otherwise unintentional actions cause injury. This can include a pet or child causing an injury – the negligent party is responsible for the injury.
• Intentional Tort: The negligent party intentionally caused harm or injury.
Common Personal Injury Cases in San Francisco
Most personal injury cases involve injuries that result from negligence in motor vehicle accidents, the transport of dangerous goods, medical malpractice, dog bites, and slips and falls. Personal injury lawyers in San Francisco are experienced in proving cases involving negligent tort. Thus, they often specialize in bringing personal injury cases into court to litigate them. However, many cases settle before they get to court. In situations of negligence involving the death of someone, a personal injury lawyer can help the deceased’s survivors (relatives or heirs) take the case to the civil court. The clamant can sue for the death of their loved one and seek monetary compensation for their loss. However, only the district attorney can charge the negligent party.
The Role of a Personal Injury Lawyer in San Francisco
As mentioned earlier, a key role of a personal injury lawyer in San Francisco is to make sure the party injured (or killed) because of someone else’s negligence receives the compensation they deserve. To do this, there are several things they do:
• Gather records and reports
• Collect information related to the case
• Gather and organize documents related to eyewitness statements, medical reports, police reports, and any other document that strengthens their case.
• Interview treating doctors, police officers, the plaintiff (you), witnesses, etc.
• Take notes, research, and analyze case law
• Create and file court document
• Fearlessly negotiate settlement with the negligent party’s insurance company and/or attorney
• Prepare the case for trial
As you can see, a personal injury lawyer in San Francisco does a lot more behind the scenes than go to court. It’s their responsibility to make sure their clients get the compensation they deserve for their injuries ( actslaw.com/about-us ), and that the other party is held accountable. They should never care how long it takes or how big the insurance company is that they’re up against.